Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Stir-Fry Flowering Chives with Prawns and Tofu

Flowering Chives (gow choy fah) are really popular among the Chinese. I love eating this veggie, it has the smell similar to chives but unlike chives where the stems are flat, these Flowering Chives has an almost triangle-liked shaped with hollow stems. They are great in stir-fries and goes well with prawns and meat. The flowers are edible and the stems are sweet. They are delicious in stir-fried noodles too. 


I cooked this really simple and tasty dish for dinner a couple of days ago. Flowering Chives are stir-fried along with Prawns and Tofu.


 Two pieces of firm tofu, rinsed and pat dry.


Slice each piece in half horizontally to get two slices from each  piece of tofu.


Fry with some oil over medium heat until light brown. Dish out and drain. 


Tofu are sliced to smaller pieces after frying, Flowering Chives are sectioned to about 1-1/2" to 2" lengths, and the prawns are marinated.


 A plate of Stir-Fry Flowering Chives with Prawns and Tofu


One of my family's favourite veggie dish. Give this a try, I'm sure that you will like it!

I'm sharing this with
Hearth and Soul Hop hosted by Mom's Sunday Cafe

Stir-Fry Flowering Chives with Prawns and Tofu
300gm flowering chives
2 pieces firm tofu
200gm medium-sized prawns
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
salt to taste
cooking oil
1/2 tsp sesame oil
dash of white pepper powder
2-3 tbsp water
1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine (optional)
  1. Rinse and pat dry firm tofu. Slice horizontally in half. Heat about 2-3 tablespoon oil in wok or skillet. Fry tofu on both sides till light brown. Dish out and keep aside to cool. When cool, cut each slice in half and cut each half into four, making a total of eight pieces for each slice. Repeat with remaining slices of tofu. Keep aside.
  2. Peel prawns, leaving the tail intact. Devein, rinse and drain prawns. Marinade prawns with oyster sauce, white pepper powder and sesame oil. Keep aside.
  3. Wash and drain Flowering Chives. Cut about 2" from bottom stalk and discard (usually the bottom stalk will be hard and tough, if it is young and tender, then omit this step). Cut the Flowering Chives to about 1-1/2" to 2" sections. Keep aside.
  4. Heat about 2 tbsp oil. Saute the chopped garlic until light brown and fragrant. Add in the prawns, stirring for about 2 - 3 minutes until prawns are almost cooked.
  5. Add in the flowering chives and  2-3 tablespoons of water. Add salt to taste. Stir for another 2 - 3 minutes. Add in the tofu pieces and Chinese cooking wine (if using), stir for about 10 seconds. Dish out to a serving plate. Serve hot. Enjoy!
This dish is excellent with or without the Chinese cooking wine. The wine adds a light taste and aroma to this dish. 

37 comments:

  1. A healthy dish that my hubby loves most. :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad I saw this. I almost bought some flowering chives, but wasn't sure what I would use them for. This sounds great, perfect mid-week summer meal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmm....this is one dish I would love to have for dinner with rice. All my favourite ingredients there. I can eat a big plate :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great combination of prawn with Tofu. Lovely recipe.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  5. this looks really delicious to me!!! I must try it!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didnt try adding both together.. sounds interesting.. Looks delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for teaching this dish! I've seen this veg in supermarkets but didn't know what it is and how to cook it; now I do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks healthy, delicious and amazing! Another great recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never seen flowering chives. I wonder if we don't have them here or maybe I never saw them as I wasn't looking for them. Your dish looks scrumptious Joy, especially those plump shrimp!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those flowering chives are simply beautiful and they wonderfully tasty with those prawns. Thanks so much for visiting me at Stirring the Pot so that I could come back and discover your site!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Feel like finishing that bowl, delicious and flavourful..

    ReplyDelete
  12. This dish is right up my alley! YUM! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, this stir fry looks awesome, healthy and simply delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks so delicious! There isn't anything in this dish that I don't like!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks incredible, i love your tofu photos as although i have cooked with it often enough i am never sure if i am treating it the right way!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never seen flowering chives in the market- I wonder if you could just use regular ones? This dish looks really good- I love prawns! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm joining you!!! I'll take the tofu and chives alone...prawns for you! Slurppppp!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Que preciosos los cebollinos bebe,me ha encantado la receta muy saludable,¿los tienes en tu huerto?cariños y abrazos grandes.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks delicious and the flowering chicves add an elegant touch. Thanks for sharing your recipe with the Hearth and Soul Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks so tasty and delicious! I prepare flowering chives the same way too with shrimps and tofu :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I almost bought the Chinese chives the other day! I will get them next time, and the tofu, when I go to the Chinese shop. But can I do this dish without prawns? I am vegetarian!

    Ciao
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh this looks so delicious. Love the combo of prawns and tofu! I a little of both worlds. The sauce sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  23. i really love this kind of home cooked dish! also love you added tofu here!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I want this for dinner! Looks so fresh and savory.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very yummy! Never seen flowering chives before but they certainly look gorgeous. Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. First I 'd like to apologize for not getting back to you earlier in regards to my post...yes, I had some issues and post were posted by mistake...now everything seems undercontrol. I love this dish of yours...tofu, shrimp and chives...beautifully done and amzing pictures.
    Have a wonderful week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my good!! I don´t belive. I loved that recipe. Perfect. Nice week. Marta

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wonderful recipe and I love these flowering chives...beautiful dish :)
    I hope you are having a wonderful week

    ReplyDelete
  29. How I miss flowering chives! This looks so homey and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a wonderful meal. This looks and sounds spectacularly delicious. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ooo, very nice salad!!!
    Thank you, my beloved friend for this beautiful recipe!
    Many greetings and kisses

    ReplyDelete
  32. Joy, this dish is as beautiful as it is delicious! The flowering chives are something new for me, I believe I have noticed them before at open markets, but did not know the name. Thanks for sharing this lovely meal.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This dish is such a classic for a home-cooked Asian meal. Very nice and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hello, stopping by to say, this great recipe was a featured link from the Hearth n Soul Blog Hop from last week. Thanks so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  35. that looks like sth my mum would cook! it's awesome! (:

    ReplyDelete