Sunday, February 26, 2012

Lemon-Coconut Bars

Be warned, these are addictive! I know most lemons bars are! But these have the ingredient, flaked coconuts in the crust, it really is very good! This was bookmarked months ago and never did get round to make it, and finally made this a couple of days ago. If you love lemons and coconuts, then you will love this!


The lemon topping has the wonderful tangy taste of the lemons and the sweetness is just right. The bottom crust is wonderful with the chewiness of the flaked coconuts. Put them together and you get a perfect bar.


Make sure that the aluminium foil is greased really well at the sides, cause the bars are stuck to the aluminium foil and I've got to carefully separate the foil without doing any damages to the bars.


Top with some icing sugar, and enjoy!


I bet you won't stop at just one! I definitely did not! Don't worry, it is not very high and you need  three pieces to stack up together for the size of a piece of cake! And the top filling does not contain any butter! Oh yes, another piece please! Hahaha, don't mind me, I just need to console myself after my third piece! :) Just one of those guilty pleasures!! 

I'm sharing this with :
Cookbook Sunday hosted by Couscous & Consciousness
Bake With Bizzy hosted by Bizzy Bakes
Sweets For A Saturday hosted by Sweet As Sugar Cookies


Lemon-Coconut Bars
(adapted from "Bon Appetit Desserts" by Barbara Fairchild)
Makes 16
Crust
1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut, toasted, cooled
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes

Filling
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon peel
1 teaspoon unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
1/4 cup powdered sugar

CRUST :
Preheat oven to 350F. Line 8x8x2-inch metal baking pan with aluminium foil, leaving overhang on 2 sides of pan. Butter foil. Blend flour, sugar, and salt in processor. Add coconut and butter, process until mixture resembles fine meal and begins to clump together. Gather dough into ball. Press dough evenly over bottom of prepared pan. Bake crust until golden at edges, about 25 minutes.

FILLING :
Meanwhile, combine sugar, eggs, lemon juice, lemon peel, flour, baking powder, and salt in processor. Blend filling until smooth.

Remove crust from oven. Pour filling evenly over hot crust. Return to oven and bake until filling begins to brown at edges and is just set and springy to touch in center, about 30 minutes. Transfer pan to rack; cool lemon bars completely.

Using foil as aid, transfer lemon bars to work surface. Fold down foil sides. Cut into bars. Sift powdered sugar over.

DO AHEAD : Can be made 5 days ahead. Refrigerate lemon bars in single layer in airtight containers.

24 comments:

  1. Love lemon cakes, this looks so awesome, lemon and coconut, ultimate combo..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't get enough of lemon bars..and combined with coconut sounds even better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious. Seeing itself tempt to have more than one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Huh..when I saw the pic I was thinking how come we didn't get to taste this yesterday..then read on, oh! it was prepared a few days earlier..Aiya! miss the boat! maybe I can bake some since my fren gave me a jar of homemade curd last Xmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just thinking that I needed something lemony- these look yummy! I'm sure I couldn't stop at just one either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. seriously addictive! if i make lemon treats i cannot stop eating! yum :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes, any combination of lemon and coconut has me hooked - even better than chocolate. I would struggle to stop at one that's for sure.

    Thanks so much for sharing these at Cookbook Sundays.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love lemons... and also this type of goodies... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. are you still eating one now while you're reading my comments? aargh..bet it has all gone by now!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Que bueno me encanta el limón.
    Un saludito

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! Found you on Cookbook Sundays, and these look DE-lish!! Good job :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. There must be lemon in the air, Sawsan also posted a recipe for Lemon Bars. I love the addition of coconut in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh goodness! Lemon Bars are my comfort food and yours look scrumptious!

    Thanks for sharing, Joyce...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lemon bars with coconut - Wow! This sounds delicious and belongs on my table.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the combo of lemon and coconut! A Winner!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness! My two favorites things for dessert combined! I AM trying this recipe asap!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lemon and coconut...the best and one of our favourite things; saving this one.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  18. the bars look so juicy and tender. Love the added coconut as I have never done that before with my lemon bars or pies. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Joy, these look wonderful, and I love that the coconut is in the crust. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey, you got a new look! :) These bars sound delicious, the combination of lemon and coconut is wonderful! I'm going to try it!

    ReplyDelete