Monday, July 8, 2013

Cinnamon-Sugar-Doughnut Muffins : Bake-Along # 47

It's my turn to select a bake for this week's Bake-Along, and I've chosen Cinnamon-Sugar-Doughnut Muffins. Do you love eating doughnuts? I would fall into the category of like, not love eating doughnuts! The doughnuts which I sometimes buy are the ones that are very fluffy and soft which can be found in almost most bakeries and even in the morning market. I have tried other versions like the Dunkin' Donuts and Big Apple Donuts, and these Cinnamon-Sugar-Doughnut Muffins are similar in texture and taste.



I have baked these in mini muffin pans, made half a recipe and yields about 28 mini muffins. For half a recipe I have reduced the sugar to 1/4 cup. After baking, the muffins are cooled, then dunk in melted butter and rolled on a sugar-cinnamon mixture.





It may look like there's a lof of sugar, but it is not overly sweet, as I have reduced the sugar in the batter and the doughnut muffins, before the coating of cinnamon-sugar, is not sweet at all, so with the cinnamon-sugar coating, it is just right. So if you are thinking of eating these doughnut-muffins without the cinnamon-sugar coating, then I would suggest to follow the full measurement of the sugar in the recipe. But eating this with the cinnamon-sugar coating tastes much yummier than eating them plain. These doughnut-muffins are light crisp on the outside with soft cakey texture on the inside.  Overall, these are good with a cup of warm tea.


Please visit my baking buddies, Lena from Frozen Wings and Zoe from Bake For Happy Kids, and all our friends who has baked along with us in the linky below :

For our next Bake-Along, we will be baking based on a theme, Theme : Fruit Buckle. Select any Fruit Buckle recipe of your choice and Bake-along with us and link your post to the our blog-hop linky which will start on  24th July right up to 2nd August. Everyone is welcome! 


Photobucket


A friendly reminder when linking to our blog hop :
1. Please mention Bake-Along event in your own post linking direct to any of the hosts' post (JoyceLena or Zoe)
2. Please link only new and current post, related to the current bake or theme provided by us. Unrelated post will be deleted.
3. Feel free to display our Bake-Along badge in your post.


Cinnamon-Sugar-Doughnut Muffins
(adapted from "The Back In The Day Bakery Cookbook", Cheryl and Griffith Day)
For The Muffins :
3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder, preferably aluminium-free
3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole milk
2 tablespoons buttermilk
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs

For The Doughnut Coating :
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 cup sugar mixed with 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

To make the muffins :
Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly spray 12 large muffin cups with vegetable oil spray.
Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and cardamom. In a medium bowl, combine the milk and buttermilk.
In a large mixing bowl, using a handheld mixer on medium speed, cream the butter for 2 to 3 minutes. Turn the speed to low and gradually add the sugar. Continue to mix until the mixture lightens in colour. Add the eggs one at a time, beating just until combined. Add the dry ingredients in thirds, alternating with the milk mixture, mixing just until smooth; do not overmix.
With a large ice cream scoop or spoon, scoop the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling them approximately two-thirds full. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the tops are firm to the touch and lightly golden.
While the muffins bake, set up two bowls to dunk them in. In one bowl you will have the melted butter, and in the other bowl you will have the cinnamon sugar.
Let the doughnuts cool completely on a wire rack. Dunk them in the melted butter, then coat them with the cinnamon sugar. The muffins can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 days.

kitchen flavour notes :

  • for half a recipe, I used only 1/4 cup sugar for the batter.
  • 1/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons milk, and 1 tablespoon yohurt.
  • pinch of nutmeg powder
#61/100

To join our blog hop, click on the link to get the codes :
get the InLinkz code

23 comments:

  1. ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.comMonday, July 08, 2013

    Hi Joyce, this is indeed yummy I like cinnamon but my children don't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious, been a long time since I last had doughnuts, hope I can find time to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't try baked doughnuts. Die die must try and find out how it's taste :D Looks really yummy especially the one dress with cinnamon sugary coating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joyce,
    Baked doughnut sounds good.
    Good to have with a cup of kopi o..:D
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the sugar on top! Nice one..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joyce, very irresistible, makes me want to try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joyce, I love cinnamon with sugar. And I am crazy about doughnuts but have put a stop to eating them. I am very sure I will love these muffins too. Will KIV for later :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi joyce! i was actually wondering if you managed to bake it over the weekend! i hv also used only ard 60gms sugar, not really sweet but nice with the cinnamon sugar or even just with sugar alone. nice selection!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tis donuts are finger-licking gd ... i liked to lay my hands on them...:-^

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cuties and damn attractive doughnut muffins..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joyce , yours is my last baked donuts - these donuts are certainly delicious :D Will have to make it for my self er hopefully ......

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Joyce, These look light and fluffy. They remind me of the old Lay's potato chip slogan, "I bet you can't eat just one".
    Beautiful. Blessings dear, Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Joyce , these donuts is a must have ....{smiling } heading for the kitchen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow Joyce, these muffins covered with sugar and cinnamon look great..I wish I could pop one in my mouth :)
    Have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Joyce,

    You managed to bake these in your small oven... Hurray! They look great!

    My husband and son were extremely critical comparing these with the fried doughnuts, not considering the fact that these are kinder to their waistlines. Seems like fat is never a concern to them... ha ha ha!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, these looks so yummy! That cinnamon sugar topping clinched the deal...I want some!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. They look delicious. My family would love them since they love doughnuts.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I made these and my kids finished it up! I reduced the sugar by half in the muffins and used full amount of sugar for the coating so its just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These baked doughnut muffins look so good, Joyce.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You naughty, naughty girl:) First, you didn't tell me it was your birthday this month so, ♫♪♫♪♫♪Happy Birthday To YOU! ♫♪♫♪♫♪ and next, you go and bake up these enticing doughnuts that I can't reach!!!

    Thank you for sharing, Joyce now, blow out the candles!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am so frustrated. I have made these twice and both times, they failed. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. The dough comes out dry and the end results, misshapen. I make muffins all the time and they work. I see everyone else's comes out. Yours are great.

    Maybe, next time will be better.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dear,
    i would try this at my home, i like cook food.

    Real Estate Miami | Miami Condos

    ReplyDelete
  23. going to make this tomorrow :) yum yum yum.....

    ReplyDelete