Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Iozza's Corn and Bacon Muffins

These muffins are so delicious! If you love savoury muffins, then you would definitely like these. According to Curtis Stone, his mom often make these special muffins whenever he goes home to his mom's place. And I can see why he would want these muffins whenever he visits his mom!


The recipe uses hardwood-smoked bacon, and what I have is just the regular bacon, so I used that instead. The bacon are coarsely chopped and fry over medium heat until crisp and half cup of bacon drippings are supposed to be mixed into the batter. I have however fried the bacon until half-crisp as I do not want them too dry, and there's no bacon drippings at all! Not even a drop! Anyway I have intended to use canola oil in the first place, so I have substitute with canola oil to be mixed into the batter.


Some of the other ingredients used are eggs, fresh corn kernels, chopped chives and grated cheddar cheese. These are mixed with the flour and the batter is then scooped into muffin pans, mounding it generously into each cup. More cheese are sprinkled over and they are baked for about 18-20 minutes until golden brown and cooked.


Smells incredibly cheesy good while these are baking in the oven. 


These muffins are so delicious! I've eaten this at room temperature and the texture is just so soft, moist and yummy. The bacon, corns, chives and cheese are all just so perfect together. Love it! I can see this yummy muffins again in my future baking. Perfect for an afternoon lunch, and for a breakfast treat. You could easily pack this for lunch to work since it stays so soft even several hours after baking. According to Curtis Stone, these are great when served warm with salted butter, but they are just as good when eaten at room temperature without the addition of any butter.

This post is linked to Cook Like A Star, where this month's featured chef is Curtis Stone, an event organized by my baking buddy, Zoe from Bake For Happy Kids together with co-hosts, Baby Sumo from Eat Your Heart Out and Grace from Life Can Be Simple.




and I'm sharing this post with :



 photo 77951578-1914-4b72-8eda-9e40a91183ac_zps331eb4b4.jpg



The recipe below is given in full. For half a recipe, refer to my measurements in blue.
Iozza's Corn and Bacon Muffins
(adapted from "Relaxed Cooking with Curtis Stone")
Makes 12
12 ounces hardwood-smoked bacon, coarsely chopped (150gm regular bacon)
1 ear yellow corn, husked (1/2 cup)
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour (1-1/4 cups)
4 teaspoons baking powder (2 tsp)
1/2 teaspoon salt (1/4 tsp)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (1/8 tsp paprika powder)
1-1/4 cups whole milk (2/3 cup)
1/2 cup bacon drippings (1/4 cup canola oil)
3 large eggs (2 small)
2 cups grated sharp white cheddar cheese (1 cup)
1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh chives (1/4 cup)
salted butter, for serving

Preheat the oven to 400F. Cook the bacon in a large heavy saute pan over medium heat for about 8 minutes, or until it is browned and crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to paper towels. Brush 12 standard-sized muffin cups generously with some of the bacon drippings from the pan, and set aside 1/2 cup of the remaining bacon drippings to cool slightly. Discard any remaining bacon fat.

Use a sharp knife to slice the corn kernels off the cob. You should have about 1 cup.

Whisk the flour, baking powder, salt, and cayenne pepper in a large bowl to blend. Whisk the milk, eggs, and reserved bacon drippings in another large bowl to blend; then stir in the bacon, 1-1/2 cups of the cheese, the corn kernels, and the chives. Stir the milk mixture into the flour mixture just until blended. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, dividing it equally and mounding it generously. Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake for about 18 minutes, or until the muffins are golden and a tester inserted into the center of one comes out clean. Let the muffins cool slightly in the cups. Then run a small sharp knife around the muffins to loosen from the cups, remove them, and serve them warm with salted butter.

#63/100

30 comments:

  1. Yes, I love savoury muffins! These look so inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bacon muffins look so tasty and delightful. Excellent preparation.
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG!!!!! Joyce, at this time of the day, this looks even more inviting and tempting!! I had been eyeballing this recipe but kept contemplating whether to do or not because of the bacon in it. I need to watch diet already. But this is just too shiok!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, this is a salty version of muffin with bacon! So special, must give it a try one day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joyce ,
    Boy , I will have to try these really soon ... but for now just pass me one ...Hmmmmm tastes so good . :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look so good and I'm thinking they would be good for picnics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Joyce these look wonderful and of course have all the right flavors, cheese, bacon and corn. thanks, I will have to make these for the hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Joyce,

    Thanks for your recommendation! This will be the secret weapon of my future!!! - LOL! Here is my cheeky plan - When my son grows up and leave home, I will bake these always and make him come home.

    *wink*

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Delicioso muffins muy goloso,abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooo sounds like a lovely muffin. Bought corn today to make his chowder and got some left, so will make this next ;) Thanks for sharing Joyce.

    ReplyDelete
  11. such a flavorful muffin. I love the use of the corn and bacon together. nothing like a homemade savory muffin

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love one of these, please:-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Corn and bacon sounds great in this muffin. Would be great with soup!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Joyce, I am so going to bake these muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Joyce, I'm back! Love to support you with the Cook Your Books soon! A combo of the sweetness(corn) & the saltiness(bacon) of your muffins look delicious there!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bacon with cake!
    I have never bake such a nice cake before, much try it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. these are totally scrumptious - we LOVE savoury muffins - great ingredients with the bacon, cheese and chives - YUM!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Joyce,your savoury muffin looks delicious!!!! May I have one? :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Joyce, Looks so tempting. I've not tried savoury muffins before. Might just try this.

    ReplyDelete
  20. YUM! these muffins look good & tasty! We love savoury bakes so this muffins will definitely be a hit at our home!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Joyce, they look perfect ! I think it would be perfect for aperitif !

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds so totally awesome! I would love to bake some too but no corns and no bacon:( Will have to wait till next week cos this week I have to go to and jaga my mom.

    ReplyDelete
  23. These savory muffins loaded with bacon, corn and cheese sound and look delicious...the texture of this muffins look great Joyce.
    Hope you are having a lovely week :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. Corn and bacon in muffins? Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  25. OMG I'm drooling just reading these ingredients. I just copied this into Word to save and make for later. I think I'd probably eat the entire batch myself. Wow these sound incredible. So glad I stopped by - nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, these sound wonderful, Joyce! With corn hitting the farmers market soon I will certainly make these and I know we would love them. Maybe I'll have to serve them with a salad so we don't pig out too much :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have had such a craving for Corn Muffins, Joyce. I've just been waiting to get up the nerve to put the oven on. It's been so hot here! I love the thought of adding bacon so perhaps it's a good thing I have waited a while:) Saving this recipe!

    Thanks for sharing, Joyce...

    P.S. I don't think I will make Cook Your Books this month but I have made it a point to be sure and join next month!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Joyce , I remember those spicy muffins you've made last time and these muffins look as good ! Bacon is always a wonderful addition to everything ;D

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love savoury snacks and I'm sure I'll like these muffins! Love the flavours / ingredients in these muffins and I'm not surprised you see yourself baking these again :-)

    ReplyDelete