Monday, July 22, 2013

Sweet Green Bean Dessert With Durian

Durian is known as The King Of Fruits! I can understand why. It is truly a unique fruit which either you love or totally loathe!  As far as my family is concerned, we love durians! Mention durian, and the eyes would light up with excitement and anticipation! LOL! I guess only the durian-loving fans would understand these "gila durian" (durian craziness! LOL!). For those of us who love durians would welcome the "fragrant" smell from these fruits, you could practically smell it before you could even see the fruit. And for those who are not a fan of durians, either you are so used to the smell and don't mind it at all, or you would run as fast as your legs could carry you! There are so many different grades and varieties of durian, with prices ranging from cheap to very expensive. I love eating bitter durians than the sweeter ones, which we would usually reserve for the kids! Though now that some of my nieces and nephews are older, they are learning to like the bitter ones too! 


 Durians, the King Of Fruits. 


The fruit inside, creamy and delicious! 


I made some Malaysian sweet green bean dessert and added in some durian flesh. This sweet dessert is great eaten with the family on a lazy weekend afternoon, and it can be eaten either hot or chilled.



Dried green beans are washed in several changes of water, put into a deep pot and cover it with some water, boil till the beans are tender, about 30 minutes. Palm sugar, granulated sugar and salt are added in to taste. Two pieces of pandan leaves are added for that pandan fragrance. Durian flesh are then added in. I have remove the seeds from the durian, using only the flesh. Let it come to a boil for 2-3 minutes, and the thick coconut milk is added in last. Let it come to a simmer and turn off heat. Do not let it boil too long once the thick coconut milk is added.


Enjoy it warm or cold.









This recipe is just a guide, adjust the water amount to the consistency desired and sweetness to your own liking.
Green Bean with Durian
1 cup green beans
8 cups water
2 pieces meaty durian, discard seeds
50gm gula melaka (palm sugar)
1/4 cup granulated sugar, or to taste
pinch of salt
100ml thick coconut milk
2 pandan leaves

Wash green beans in several changes of water. Place in a pot with 8 cups water. Let it come to a boil, then simmer for 30 minutes or until beans are tender. Add in pandan leaves, both sugars and salt to taste. Simmer until sugar are completely dissolved. If consistency is too thick, add 1/4 cup, or more, of water.  Add in durian flesh, let it simmer for 2-3 minutes, add in thick coconut milk. Let it come to a simmer, turn off heat. Either eat it warm or chilled.


23 comments:

  1. Hi Joyce!

    When I first looked at the Durian it reminded me of an odd fruit I found growing last year on the side of the road. Quick research revealed it was called Brain Fruit. Now I must check and see if they are both in the same family because I don't think we have Durian in our markets.

    It's always such a joy when the whole family gets excited about a dish. It sure sounds like you have one happy family with this meal!

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love green bean soup with durian that I always eat at the food court. Very delicious but never tried to make at home. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my favourite bubur durian! Love it! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joyce, like you, I'm a fan of bitter durian and the more bitter it is, the stronger the 'kick' is for me. But I have never heard or seen green bean soup with durian, not to mention eat it. However, I'm thinking this combination definitely will cool off the heatiness from the durian itself. I will try this soon and see how it tastes like :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you like musang king? That one is quite bitter right, but nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sadly, My children don't take durians, not even when we bribed them with money to eat. They just cannot stand the smell and taste.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Que lindo fruto no lo conocía ,estupendo postre,hugs,hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know can have durian together in green bean soup in such way :D Sure nice as I'm durian lovers too! Too bad no durian season here. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What amazing fruit Joyce!! this dessert look delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, Joyce! I would love this dessert a lot! My mum get's headache when she smells durians. That's why it is banned from the house. Hah! Hah!

    ReplyDelete
  11. No doubt that this dessert is delicious if you made it. I have seen Durian in the Asian grocery markets in Atlanta- And whew my friend, the fragrance can be over powering but it can still be a beautiful thing. Thanks for sharing.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow super nice! Have not had this for ages!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Never knew that durians could be used in soups. Looks excellent.
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Joyce, my mouth is watering just thinking of this dessert! Durian and green beans sound perfect together.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Joyce, finally you have your favourite durian dessert. A balanced kind of dessert made from the 'heaty' durian and the 'cooling' green beans. So it's superb.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would love this durian dessert too. It looks so tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sweet and fragrant, super delicious!. Have not eaten this dessert for a long time. You are tempting me to make this !

    ReplyDelete
  18. Joyce, you are so cool! I have only seen durian on TV--Iron Chef I think.
    The inside almost looks like an animal organ! Thank you for sharing this week.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Okay , I'll have mine without durian , pretty please ? lol

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello ally. Let me introduce myself. I am
    Jaime Kehoe but Do not like are extremely use my full appoint.

    For years she's been living in Montana but her husband wants them in order
    to maneuver. Software developing is how I support my loved ones and the salary is really satisfactory.

    What his as well as him love is perform baseball but he's
    thinking on starting something more. My wife and I conserve a website.
    It's advisable to have a look here: http://prodotti-anti-caduta.eu/

    ReplyDelete