Monday, July 15, 2013

THB : Peach-Polka-Dot Caramel Cake

The Home Bakers (THB) bake no 21 this week is Plum-Polka-Dot Caramel Cake, chosen by Emily of Emily's Cooking (Makan2) Foray.

I could not find any plums as they are not in season at the moment, have seen some fresh apricots last week, but not today, when I went to the market this morning. There's some boxes of fresh persimmons, but those are rather firm and not fully ripe yet, so I used canned peaches instead.


This coffee cake is baked in a tart pan. There's no leavening used for the batter, and thus it does not rise that much at all. Plums or other stone fruits are cut in half and placed on top of the batter with the cut sides facing up. A streusel topping is made and is scattered all over the top before baking.


I have mixed feelings over this particular 'cake'. The texture of the crumbs are moist and dense. The lovely Emily describes this as similar to shortcake, while Mich says the texture is "bread-like cake". To me, this is like eating thick moist soft waffles! Haha! I think my fellow baking friends must be laughing at my description, but that was the first thing that came to mind when I ate this! 


Overall, the cake itself is very tasty and I like the taste of the nutmeg, makes the cake smells really nice with a hint of spice. The almond streusel is very crunchy and yummy. And the canned apricots, well you can never go wrong with canned or fresh fruits! But that being said, I do not think that I would be making this again soon, this is a nice cake, but it does not quite make it to my list of favourites.


For the full recipe, please visit Emily of Emily's Cooking (Makan2) Foray and to view other members' bake, drop by The Home Bakers (THB).


Welcome to The Home Bakers


We are a group of home bakers who are currently baking from "Coffee Cakes" by Lou Seibert Pappas, until each recipe from this book has been baked. This is our bake no. 21 and we have 39 recipes more to go. If you are interested to be a member and join in our bakes, you may drop me an email at kitchenflavours@yahoo.com.

#62/100

17 comments:

  1. A wonderful caramel cake, Joyce. The cake has turned out so moist and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Polka Dot it was! Well we have another 39 recipes to try out! But it was good for now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even i love the flavours of nutmeg. The cake looks gooey & yumm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thick soft moist waffles? like ban chien kuih aka tai kau meen?? hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  5. se ve muy rico con caramelo mmmmm....saludos

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look really delicious Joyce!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the addition of the almond - delicious!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think peaches will go really well with this cake.... Its delicious but its not on my to do again list though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This really sounds like an unusual cake, and I do love waffles! Luckily, I have some soft ripe peaches to be used!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Joyce,

    Remember that we spoke about this cake before...

    Due to winter, I was thinking of substituting plum with pears but decided not to bake this at all because my son said that he didn't like it :(

    So sorry that I can't participate this bake.

    Zoe

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Joyce, I guess some cakes are good but we are not crazy about it. But it does look nice with the canned peach.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I shall eat the fruits and leave the cake for someone else lol!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Joyce, Your cake looks nice & thick compared with mine! A little dissapointed with this cake as it does not rise well. But overall it's O,kay .

    ReplyDelete
  14. Canned peaches is a great alternative , last time I used Del Monte canned peaches( which is my opinion is the best ) when I made upside-down cake . The cake looks like it was steamed instead of baked :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Eileen, Hundred Eighty DegreesFriday, July 19, 2013

    Hi Joyce, here I come: ) looks like this cake has 'multi-characters'..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Joyce! Your cake looks very delicious with peach! I love how so many of us have managed to try out the variations, all look delicious!

    ReplyDelete