Friday, July 5, 2013

Tomato and Pomegranate Salad : IHCC

"Paint The Town Red", our theme for this week at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), where we are currently cooking from our featured chef's recipes, Yotam Ottolenghi. When IHCC announced that they will be featuring Yotam Ottolenghi as next featured chef back in March, I wasted no time in browsing for his recipes. And this beautiful vibrant salad was the one that really caught my attention, telling myself that I would definitely make this salad before the term with Ottolenghi ends. 



This salad goes perfectly well with the theme "Paint The Town Red", where we can make anything from Ottolenghi's recipes with a reddish hue! A simple and delicious, fresh salad that can be put together in just minutes. 

Here I haves used only two types of tomatoes, honey cherry tomatoes, both yellow and red. The recipes calls for four types of tomatoes, the other two are plum tomatoes and vine tomatoes. But both the cherry tomatoes that I've used are extremely juicy and sweet, and wonderful for this salad, I don't think that you would miss out on the other two. Other ingredients are red onions, red bell pepper and pomegranate seeds. And I have replaced the fresh oregano leaves with fresh coriander leaves instead, as that was what I had. 

The salad dressing is made up of some crushed garlic, ground allspice, white wine vinegar, olive oil, salt to taste and pomegranate molasses. I do not have pomegranate molasses but have replaced with pomegranate concentrate instead. 


Look at the gorgeous red ruby pomegranate seeds. They are so sweet, juicy and crunchy. Love it!  I have however used less olive oil, and did not drizzle any extra over the salad as required, it really do not need the extra oil.


A beautiful delicious plate of salad. I love the vibrant colour of the salad, the gorgeous red from the pomegranate seeds, red bell pepper and red cherry tomatoes, the sunny yellow from the yellow cherry tomatoes and fresh green from the coriander leaves. This is so yummy, I've enjoyed this very much, and one that I would definitely make again. 


IHCC Ottolenghi Leek
Badge resized



Please do stop by I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC) to view the delicious dishes that my friends have made for the theme "Paint The Town Red?", and if you are interested to join us, please find out more details from IHCC.

I'm sharing this as well with :

Souper Sundays hosted by Kahakai Kitchen
See Ya In The Gumbo hosted by Ms. enPlace
Full Plate Thursday hosted by Miz Helen's Country Cottage
Meatless Monday hosted by My Sweet And Savory


Tomato and Pomegranate Salad
(source from : Ottolenghi)
Serves 4
200gm red cherry tomato, cut into 1/2cm dice
200gm yellow cherry tomato, cut into 1/2cm dice
200gm tiger (or plum) tomatoes, cut into 1/2cm dice
4 medium vine tomatoes, cut into 1/2cm dice (500gm net)
1 red pepper, cut into 1/2cm dice (120gm net)
1 small red onion, finely diced (120gm net)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 tsp ground allspice
2 tsp white wine vinegar
1-1/2 tbsp pomegranate molasses
60ml olive oil, plus a little extra to drizzle at the end
1 pomegranate, seeds removed (170gm of seeds)
1 tbsp picked small oregano leaves, to garnish
salt and black pepper

In a large bowl, mix together the tomatoes, red pepper and onion and set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk the garlic, allspice, vinegar, pomegranate molasses, olive oil, and 1/3rd teaspoon of salt, until well combined. Pour this over the tomatoes and gently mix.
Arrange the tomatoes and the juices on a large flat plate. Sprinkle over the pomegranate seeds and oregano and finish with a drizzle of olive oil.



26 comments:

  1. Joyce, this is the most beautiful salad I have ever seen! I just kept looking the photos especially the last one. I should hunt for pomegranates and try this salad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summer is salad season! This is so beautiful and delicious, Joyce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the promegenate looks so juicy.. don't mind to finish that plate of salad.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joyce , ... pomegranates in a salad ...GReaaaaat . love'em . This is a must have salad ... we have a pomegranate tree in the garden ... kids eat and I make jelly , what a surprise this will be for my family . Thanks for sharing . :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is tasty! Love promeganate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a gorgeous salad! Looks like a bowl of jewels :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful vibrant salad Joyce, I love it. It would certainly brighten up any supper :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just lovely! I love pomegranate!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.comSaturday, July 06, 2013

    Joyce, this is so beautiful, healthy and nutritious :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that we were Ottolenghi twins this week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice and refreshing! Should give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your salad has great eye appeal! It also sounds refreshing. Good looking and tasty is a hard combination to beat. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. So pretty and perfect for summer. The dressing sounds delicious. I wouldn't be able to find pomegranate molasses either and have seen it used in several of YO's recipes. I like your substitution and will have to try that! Thanks for linking up, Joyce!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have just convinced me to give pomegranate another try Joyce. I just haven't been able to warm up to it but perhaps it is better to cool off with it in a salad such as this. It looks so refreshing and appetizing.

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am in love with this salad! So beautiful and filled with deliciousnes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely and refreshing salad!!!!I love the red ruby pomegranate seeds so much..... :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. A perfect salad for these hot summer days ! So refreshing and pretty delicious , too :) The pomegranate seeds sure look terrific !

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous - this salad is a triumph of all things red. Can't wait for summer to come again so I can try this.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this combination of pomegranate and tomatoes. Shall try this sometime. I have never seen pomegranate molasses, I guess normal molasses or another sugar substitute would work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mich, Yes I suppose you could use other molasses, otherwise, maybe you could use a teaspoon (or more) of clear honey. I used pomegranate concentrate and it works out great for me. Hope you give it a try sometime!

      Delete
  20. joyce, i so jakun..never eaten pomegranate before!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a beautiful and refreshing looking salad. I really must try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This salad is so pretty and I love the combination of flavors. Great pick! Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays this week too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Joy,
    What a delicious salad with great flavor. Have a fantastic week and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is an absolutely beautiful salad. The pomegranate seeds look like little ruby jewels. I think you did right not to use the full amount of oil.

    P.S. Regarding the optional monthly community recipe, harissa, feel free to use the harissa you already have. You can always make an Ottolenghi recipe with harissa in it and we will include you in the roundup that way. I think Sue did the same.

    ReplyDelete