Friday, February 7, 2014

Chicken Cubes In Black Bean Sauce

Hi everyone, how was your Chinese New Year? Mine was great, had a great time with my sisters and families at my dad's place and we had a blasting beautiful fireworks display! And of course, lots of eating!

I would like to thank everyone for the recent Bake-Along's theme, Chinese New Year Cookies. There was a total of 211 submissions and clearly Pineapple Tarts is the top favourite. To view all the wonderful cookies that everyone has shared, please click here.  Even though we still have another week to go before Chinese New Year is over, it is back to daily routine for most of us.

Today, I'm sharing a simple stir-fry chicken dish that is suitable for "everyday dish", very nice eaten with plain cooked jasmine rice.


This is a simple recipe taken from one of our local cooking books. I have replaced the green capsicum with spring onions, simply because I have harvested a large bunch of spring onions from my garden.



Enjoy!


Chicken Cubes In Black Bean Sauce
(adapted from "Hawkers' Fair Simplified")
1 piece boneless chicken breast, about 300gm, cubed
1/2 tbsp sliced garlic
5 slices ginger
2 tbsp fermented black bean, soaked, chopped
1 green capsicum, sliced (replaced with a bunch spring onions, separating the whites and the green parts, cut into 1-1/2 inch sections)
1 onion, sliced
1 red chilli, sliced

Marinade :
1 egg white
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp light soy sauce
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tbsp water
1 tbsp corn flour

Seasoning :
1/2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp light soy sauce
1 tsp dark soy sauce
1 tsp sugar (1/2 tsp)
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp Shaoxing wine
2 tbsp water
1 tsp corn flour mixed with 2 tbsp water, for thickening

  1. Combine chicken breast with marinade and season for 30 minutes. Deep-fry in hot oil until golden brown. Dish and drain.
  2. In a clean wok, heat up 1 tbsp oil, sauce garlic and ginger until fragrant. Add in fermented black beans and stir-fry until aromatic.
  3. Add in green capsicum (white part of spring onions), onion, red chilli and stir well. Add in seasoning, chicken cubes and mix well. Add in green spring onions. Thicken with corn flour solution and dish up.

I am linking this post to :

 photo 77951578-1914-4b72-8eda-9e40a91183ac_zps331eb4b4.jpg




16 comments:

  1. i like the idea of spring onions with chicken... the fragrance alone is yummylicious! i can eat just that with rice all day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joyce, simple as your dish may be, it definitely looks very delicious. I love anything fried with loads of spring onions and onions!! Thanks for sharing this yummy dish :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure this chicken dish is very flavourful looking at the ingredients to cook this dish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definetely great dish to go with rice. 恭喜发财!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the kind of dish I really enjoy eating for dinner. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back, Joyce!!!
    I'm so happy to hear that you had a wonderful visit with friends and family for Chinese New Year!!!

    The chicken and black bean sauce sounds so yummy! I'm curious about the egg white in the marinade. Does it make the chicken more tender? Interesting:) The flavors blend so well together. Another one of your amazing dishes I will one day try!!!

    Thank you so much for sharing, Joyce...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Joyce , this dish looks amazing , I am going to try it very soon , love all the ingredients . Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Joyce, I love black bean sauce on just about anything! Thanks for sharing this recipe. I hope to be back to share a recipe for Cook your Books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Joyce. Can you believe that I have never tried black bean sauce :-) . Your pictures certainly make me want to give it a go so will keep a look out next time I go shopping. Glad you had a good New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you had a wonderful celebration with your family! What a delicious dish you made. I am envious of your home grown green onions :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I'm drooling! wonderful flavors - so happy you had a great time!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love stir frys in black bean sauce. Totally yummy, I'll be sure to have more rice!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Who doesn't love stir fries ?! Love this delicious dish , chicken and spring onion is a match made in heaven :D From the look of your dish , I'm sure it tastes wonderful !

    May the Year of the Horse bring you and your family good health , happiness and prosperity ! Kung Hei Fat Choi !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Joyce
    This is a lovely dish. I love the fragrant from capsicum.
    I'll try this for my 1st stir fry dish :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love black bean sauce. Your chicken stir-fry looks very flavourful and tasty.

    ReplyDelete