Monday, March 31, 2014

THB : Holiday Cranberry-Nut Bourbon Cake

For this week's bake at The Home Bakers (THB), this cake, Holiday Cranberry-Nut Bourbon Cake is selected by Diana of The Domestic Goddess Wannabe. I like the name of this recipe, it sounds so festive with the cranberries and bourbon! Reminds me of Christmas!


OK! I know what you must be thinking, but NO, these are NOT doughtnuts!


 It does look like a doughnut! I do agree! Hahaha!

I made half a recipe and used two small ring tube pans, plain all around, with no patterns or corners. And the resulted small cakes actually look like doughnuts from the top, especially with the sprinkling of powdered sugar!


Bourbon, or you may use any whisky.

I've made a couple of minor changes to the recipe. As usual, I've reduced the sugar, and used only 1/3 cup for half a recipe. To replace the buttermilk, I've used a mixture of homemade yoghurt with some milk. And I have used only 1/4 cup of frozen cranberries as cranberries are usually very sour. Made up the balance of the cranberries with more golden raisins. And I have omitted the nuts as my family is not really fond of nuts in cakes, though I do sometimes add some nuts in bakes. But sometimes I omitted the nuts, like this time, to be fair, sometimes "now you see it", sometimes "now you don't"! 


When the cake is baked and fresh out of the oven, hot and still in the baking pan, pour over the hot cake, a mixture of orange juice and bourbon. I used a wooden skewer to poke thru the cake all over before the mixture is poured over. Let the cake sit in the pan for about 15 minutes, then unmold and cool on a wire rack. The cake is very moist, with almost dense-like crumbs, but with a soft texture. The golden raisins and the cranberries makes a nice pairing, as one is sweet and the other is sour, so it balances off nicely.

For the full recipe and instructions, please visit the host of this bake, Diana of The Domestic Goddess WannabeTo view other members' bake, please visit The Home Bakers (THB).

Welcome to The Home Bakers


We are a group of home bakers who are currently baking from "Coffee Cakes" by Lou Seibert Pappas, until each recipe from this book has been baked. This is our bake no. 33 and we have 27 recipes more to go. If you are interested to be a member and join in our bakes, you may drop me an email at kitchenflavours@yahoo.com.



10 comments:

  1. Joyce, this doughnut look alike cake got me twitching hah..hah...Mmm...bourbon, that give this cake an extra kick :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh this is so cute!!! I love how chunky your cranberries were when the cake was cut!! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, so bourbon is a type of liquor is it, hehe, I didn't know b4. Yes, it certainly looks like donutsfrom outside but looks very moist inside!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought this is a yam ring when I look at the picture...but is a lovely cake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never knew bourbon is a type of liquor, absolutely cake loks like donuts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cake looks scrumptious, Joyce. I don't have any whiskey at home, but I bet it will work with other liquors too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now you see it, now you don't! I have eaten the entire cake in my imagination, Joyce and it didn't taste like a donut at all, lol...It sounds amazing! I bet it was dee...li...cious! Thanks for sharing, Joyce...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Se ve riquísimo sacaré un trozo para mi desayuno,abrazos

    ReplyDelete
  9. hahaha Joyce your cake does look like a doughnut, a lovely delicious one ;) You cake looks delicious, can't wait to share mine with you all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This cake looks so good, but I don't have the bourbon... wonder if I can use other alcohol.

    ReplyDelete