Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Black-And-White Marbled Madeleines

It's Tuesdays With Dorie week, the two bakes for this month are Pithiviers and Black-And-White Marbled Madeleines. I've chosen to make the madeleines for this week. 

Easy to make and delightful to eat. Before making the batter, chill the greased madeleine moulds in the fridge until needed. Once the batter is made, spoon into the cooled madeleines moulds, then keep refrigerated for at least an hour before baking. Some minor changes I've made was to use orange zest instead of lime zest, and I've reduced the sugar to only 1/4 cup (since the yield is only for 12 madeleines).  The chocolate batter is very thick and did not budge much when I made the marble swirl with a small knife. I made ten madeleines with swirls and left the other five un-swirled as what Dorie says, "they'll bake with a dark bull's eye".



I baked the madeleines for 13 minutes, though I think they could have done baking at 11 minutes or so, as mine has some cracks at the top, maybe I over baked them a little, even at 13 minutes. And instead of 12, I got 15 madeleines. They pop out of the moulds very easily. 



According to Dorie, "with the chocolate grounding them a bit, the madeleines don't develop the hefty bump that their plainer relatives do", but mine has high bumps!



These madeleines are kinda addictive when eaten while still warm, minutes right after baking, with a cup of warm tea. I love the light crisp crust all around and spongy crumbs inside, with bites of the two different flavours, vanilla and chocolate. Makes a lovely yummy tea time treat! 

Stop by Tuesdays With Dorie to see what the other bakers bake for this week.

I'm sharing this post with Cookbook Countdown #15 hosted by Kitchen Flavours and Emily's Cooking (Makan2) Foray

14 comments:

  1. These are some perfect madeleines with great bump, Joyce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are absolutely beautifu! I can't wait to bake them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have yet to make madeleines but I am looking forward to it. All of your hints will help me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job Joyce - you dd get high bumps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joyce , I've been looking for a good madeleine recipe and this one looks like a winner ! Love the gorgeous bump ! Sadly , Dorie's new book or the previous 2 are still missing in action at the library here :P :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. you got the bump--yay! i didn't, but thought they were delicious regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look perfect Joyce and they are quite addictive fresh from the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Joyce,
    These madeleines of yours have nice humps... 2 different flavours. Love the way you enjoy them with warm tea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. what lovely look yours madeleines Joyce ! I love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These madeleines are lovely with a cup of tea. You've captured the essence of this cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had never heard that tip about putting the pan in the refrigerator before! I think I would love these marbled Madeleines even more than the plain ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Which of your Madeleine molds did you use for this bake? Very nice crisp edges and gorgeous humps!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yours look delicious!

    ReplyDelete